Monday, June 23, 2008

I'm Excited!

You know, when I first got to thinking about renting a cottage for the extended family, I was thinking for next year, but when I mentioned it to Carol, she said, "Well how about we do that for Dad's 90th birthday?" I thought, well, why not? So, I started looking for places, and came across the "Farmhouse Cottage" near Frankfort. Now that we've decided it would be a fun idea, I've emailed everyone in the family to get their responses. We're hoping to go October 1-5. I hope everyone else is as excited as Carol and I are about it.

Scott and I go up to the Frankfort/Beulah/Benzonia area at least once every summer because he sells his art in a place fairly near there, in Elk Rapids (Mullaly's Gallery) and also one in Sutton's Bay (Treeline Gallery). That part of the state is fantastic - beautiful, rolling hills, lots of orchards and vineyards, and this cottage is actually near a small village called Arcadia - right near Lake Michigan, on Herring Lake. Even the drive up there is gorgeous. The cottage is on a country road, and sits on 2.5 acres, with a boat dock, and lots of things for the kids to do (pool table, swingset, kayaks, etc.). See a couple of pictures, below. Be there or be square!

Scott had an art fair this past Saturday, too (in addition to attending the wedding reception). He was a busy boy! He had painted an original of Wrigley Field for Dave & Rachel, and then made prints to sell. It turned out to be a big hit at the art fair - I think he sold six of them altogether. The best part of the painting, in my opinion, is that Dave, Rachel, Katie and Ally are all in it. Makes for a great conversation starter when people are inquiring about the print.

Thought I'd also post a pic of me and my brothers and sister at the last Nykerk clan reunion held at Dave Nykerk's cottage. Not a bad looking group, if I do say so myself. Like Gomer Pyle used to say "lots of luck to you and yours."

1 comment:

Carol Sue said...

tooooo funny!!!!,
you added to this blog today about 3 times from what I can figure!
I loved the card at the bottom that Scott got for his birthday.
Your blog is looking pretty slick