Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's Been A Weird Week.....


Sleeping like a baby at the Stafford Bay Inn in Petoskey - does he look comfortable or what?

Scott and I enjoyed a pleasant few days "up north" last week, and returned to work this past Monday, as usual. Things seemed kind of quiet in my department at Haworth, and the few people who were there seemed a bit subdued. I didn't think much about it, until my manager walked in and stopped by my desk to ask about my weekend. I told her it was nice and then asked "did I miss anything while I was gone?" She gave me a funny look and said, "let's talk." So, she took me aside and filled me in on what everybody else already knew - she was going to resign that day. This is a person who has worked at Haworth for 21 years (she's 49), and has been the only manager I've had since I've worked there (her name is Beth Straebel). She made the decision after much soul-searching, various life-changing events, and other stuff that's going on at Haworth right now. I think she just realized that life is too short and she needs to follow her heart (she's really a free spirit, and she's married to an artist), so she's stepping out on a limb and going for it (no kids, so that helps as far as finances). Anyway, we're all in a state of shock, and today was her last day. She was a great manager, and I'm going to miss her, but beyond that, our department is in kind of a mess, now. None of us know where we're going to end up, so that's a bit unnerving. We'll probably all end up working in different parts of the company, but we really don't know. Hopefully things will become more clear soon, or I may just follow her out the door. Ha Ha. Time will tell...

On a much more cheerful note, I'm happy to report that the lovely Miss Kate has just found herself a new apartment! It sounds beautiful, and she is very excited. It's in an older building but it's been completed gutted and rehabbed (3 apartments total, one on each floor). So it has hardwood floors, all new appliances, etc. I'm glad that my girl will have such a nice place! She will be able to move in in just a couple of weeks. Also, what's really nice is that she'll be living in Wicker Park, just a few blocks from Dave & Rachel! OK, girls - time for a road trip!

We're looking forward to seeing the kids and Ally. We'll be staying at Rachel and Dave's, and they are even going to make us a nice dinner on Saturday night. It happens to be the Venetian Festival in Chicago this Saturday, so we'll be able to watch fireworks from their deck. Fun times!

Meanwhile, the Tigers are making me very happy - they are really on a roll. Keep it up boys!

Hope all of you have a great weekend!

My Boss and Friend, Beth (Going Away party at Holland Brewery tonight)

We both stopped by to wish her well...

My goofy friend, Claudia....
Tears were shed (Beth and her husband, Phil)

2 comments:

Brenda Lee said...

Sorry to hear about Beth leaving. What a shock for you I am sure. Glad you and Uncle Scott had a nice weekend up north. Congrats to Kate and her new apartment. YES, we will have to take a road trip to Chicago sometime soon! Have fun with the kids this weekend. Go Tigers!

Brenda Lee said...

and I'm sure Uncle Scott was thrilled that you took a picture of him sleeping (with pink blankets) and it ended up on your blog :)