Friday, February 13, 2009

Nykerk Breakfast, Katie's Birthday and More....


"Ahhh, my tummy is full!"
Bill looking great, and Brenda Lee looking fabulous!
Here's one happy guy who went out for breakfast with his family recently.....

We always have fun, don't we?

Here's our birthday girl! Happy Birthday, sweetheart.

I may be biased, but aren't they the cutest couple ever?

"Just what I just wanted!" (that's an inside joke....)

Loving sisters....I'm SUCH a lucky mom!

Chocolate covered cherries and cherry frosting for our birthday girl!

Can't forget Ally! She's one great dog....

We went to Chicago last Friday and part of Saturday to see the kids and to celebrate Katie's birthday. Had a wonderful time, "as per normal." (I always think of my sister when I use that phrase - how ya doin' Carol?) So, we enjoyed a nice dinner in a new Italian restaurant that Katie had selected (I can't remember the name!) and then went back to Dave and Rachel's condo, where Katie opened a few presents and we had some cake. We left early Saturday afternoon, and took our time going home, stopping at Michigan City to go to the Lighthouse Place Mall - they have a few new stores there, since I've been there last - including a Bath & Body Works outlet - great deals, there. We also each got a pair of shoes and I loaded up at the Pepperidge Farm store. By that time we were famished, and we dug right in on those goldfish crackers! We also drove through the backroads in that area for a bit, because we wanted to explore the area along Lake Michigan near there that they call "Harbor Country." There are several little towns just a few miles apart from each other - New Buffal0, Union Pier, Sawyer, to name a few. Quaint and cute little towns with lots of shops, galleries, etc. We wanted to see the area because we're thinking of renting a cottage in southwestern lower Michigan this sumer, so that our kids can join us and we can meet somewhere halfway between where we live. We'd like to find a nice cottage on an inland lake - someplace where Ally can come, too!

After we left, Rachel and Dave had a surprise planned for Katie! Under the pretense that they would be taking her out for supper, Katie showed up at their condo, only to be greeted by a room full of friends who were there to surprise her for her birthday! They all went out to celebrate from there - kudos to Rachel for taking the time to plan such a nice surprise for her sister!
I don't think I've posted since our last Nykerk family breakfast, so you'll see a few pictures here from our visit to DeBoer's Bakery. What a great place, and delicious food! How about the picture of dad? He cracks me up.

I'm looking forward to having lunch with Brenda tomorrow, and then going out with our friends Lynne and Dave Hall in the evening. I have 2 more Fridays off before Haworth goes back to a 5-day work week - I'm really going to miss these 4-day work weeks. The company is laying off about 150 salaried folks over the next week or two - I've been told my job is safe for now. This whole economy thing is getting to be a bit much, don't you think?
Happy Valentine's Day to all of you, and especially to the darling little ones, Macey and Kelsey! We received the most wonderful Valentine's Day card from them in the mail today (and I have a feeling all of you will get one, too!) They are beyond precious - thank you little sweethearts! We're looking forward so much to their upcoming shared birthday party at Grandpa Bill's house.

2 comments:

Rachel Nykerk said...

Great pictures Jean, and you do have 2 wonderful daughters. Happy belated birthday Katie ! I love DeBoers Bakery too !

Carol Sue said...

Great pictures and I love the one of Dad. Also the birthday party pictures. Looks like a YUMMY cake
Carol, Sheba and Cooper