Thursday, January 22, 2009

What's Happening?


Well, I can hardly believe how cool I am! (Of course you know I'm kidding.) I have started a page on Facebook.com. We have been trying to think of ways to promote our Etsy.com store and lots of folks seem to endorse having both a company blog and also getting on Facebook. It's actually been kind of fun to find friends out there from my past and from work, church, etc. My lovely nieces and nephews have even invited their aunt to be a friend, so thanks, kids! Katie Kat, too! (Rachel is considering starting a page, but I don't think she has decided one way or the other just yet. And I think Carol might also be interested?)

So, anyway, what I'm finding is that between Etsy, Facebook, a company blog and our family blog, the big challenge is keeping up with all of them! Truth be told, I still think of our family blogs as the most important, and checking out Brenda's, Jenny's, Carol's and Rachel's blogs is one of the first things I do online (ahhhh, Carol, that would be 4 weeks for you, even worse than me)!

So, we'll see how it goes. As for what's new, Haworth has decided to close down on Fridays for the next 3 weeks, so I'm looking forward to a few 3-day weekends! Having said that, it seems that every day I hear something new, either at work or on TV, about more layoffs, company closings, etc. It's a sad time for folks. Herman Miller started their production worker layoffs, too. The new boss I just started working with a couple of months ago tendered her resignation this week (a surprise) and so now my "new" (new for me anyway), department - Staffing and Diversity - will have ANOTHER new manager - at least temporarily. He's a really nice guy, but it 's like - enough already! I'm too old for all these changes.

In Chicago, Rachel has a bad cold, and David and Katie are both working extremely long hours - partly because of the time of the year, and for Dave - he has accepted a new work assignment within Orbitz, and so is getting up to speed for his new position. Congratulations, David! We are so thankful that the kids have good jobs in this day and age.

I'm thinking it's about time for a family breakfast again! How about NEXT Saturday, Jan. 31? Personally, I'd like to try the DeBoer's bakery that I've been hearing about. I think there are two, right, and we went to the "wrong" one last time. Does 9:00am work for everyone? What do you think?


4 comments:

Brenda Lee said...

Next saturday works for me. The "wrong" DeBoer has closed down so there is only 1 now (by Beechwood). I'll plan on it unless I hear differently :)

Rachel Nykerk said...

I think we can make it. That is the true DeBoers and the food and coffee are great ! See you that sat.

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Congrats on getting to Facebook. My kids keep telling me I need to do it...I'm like you-when???? There's always so much to do! Enjoy breakfast with the fam! That does sound good and it's nice that you are pretty much all close enough location-wise to do that. That's when I really miss my family in Oregon! I also share your insights about the job situation. There are a lot of shifts happening now in the economy and it's a scary time for many. Take care and thanks for the update!

Carol Sue said...

I know I am desperately behind in my blogging and starting facebook which I still want to do.
I cannot believe you have a new boss AGAIN.
Congrats to David at Orbitz, hope Rachel feels better and think about me next Sat...